To celebrate Catskill Chill 2015, and the end to a glorious run at Hancock NY’s “Camp Minglewood” here is a series of personal retrospectives. Each contributor has been in and around chill, and each is respectively an essential spice in the chili that is Catskill Chill Music Festival. Please like, and Share with anyone that has been or will be attending this year, as these fine few know exactly what it means to chill…
…if you are still in need, tickets can be purchased here for a limited time
Marcy Dunigan (Amazing Individual, Chill Fam/Merch)
I have attended all 5 Chills…the first 2 as an attendee and then the last 3 being part of the Official merch team. I went to high school about 40 minutes away from this beautifuk camp. As a teenager I always dreamt of being sent away to sleep away camp at a performing arts camp. And here we are….my favorite boys from upstate NY moe., are headlining the last Chill at Camp Minglewood.
My top 5 reasons I love the CHILL….
1. Camp Minglewood, it’s such a magical place, set in the Delware River Valley. ..no cell service, actually leaving our phones behind and getting back to the basics.
2. The #CHILLFAM, and the philosophy of the festival #ALLLOVEALLTHETIME. Dave, Jason, Larry, Josh, Angel, Pam and so many more. I am so honored to be part of the Chill team working official merch !!!
3. Crazy collaborations and sit ins… Every year it is something to be seen. With my favorite band moe.headlining this year I am anticipating/hoping for some stellar sit ins. Fingers crossed for some moe.Twiddle crossover….
4 & 5. As far as specific performances that stand out over the years. Here’s my personal favorites from each year
2010- New Mastersounds, Brothers Past, DJ Logic, UMelt,
2011- Umphrey’s McGee, DJ Logic, Zach Deputy, Sister Sparrow & the Dirty Birds, Wylls and the NY Ensemble
2012- Conspirator, Soulive, Kung Fu, Timbre Coup, Break Science
2013- Conspirator, The Motet-Funk is Dead, Galactic, Cabinet, RAQ, Twiddle, Papadosio
2014- Electron, Shpongle(Simon Posford DJ Set), Particle, Cabinet, Brownie DJ set, Karl Denson, The Breakfast, Twiddle, Marco Benevento
And looking forward to this year….
moe., Electron, Twiddle, Dopakuaz plays Studio 54….and…and …..and….Let’s send off Minglewood with a bang CHILLFAMoe.ly!!!!!!!!!
Frankie Coda- ShwizZ
“Chill 2010 – discovering Garaj Majal. Hands down favorite chill set to date.
The cabin jams… Epic, memorable, spiritual, inspirational, crushing camaraderie
ShwiKus- P Funk
The Chillfam….the vibe is incomparable and unparalleled. Minglewood is hallowed ground. I already miss the minglewood sunrise
Chill 2010…. Main stage… Easy Star, Soulive, Keller, Particle…
2010 is still my favorite year. And it was the smallest…Maybe 700 people
That entire weekend is something else”
Amanda Siedner/Sandwich (Photographer)
Making tacos during Papadosio in 2013 and everyone in and around my cabin lined up for them, then getting back to the stage just in time for Dosio’s last song and Dopadosio.
Kito Bovenschulte (Fikus)
“My favorite memories of the chill stem from not only the surplus of talent and creative musicians and artists that flood the festival grounds, but the camaraderie that exists between bands, staff, fans and attendees. Upon arriving Friday morning, everybody knows they are in store for one of the most memorable weekends of the year. We all wait for it like children on Christmas Eve. When we leave on Monday morning – we leave knowing we just experienced something special that we can all take with us and hold onto until the next Catskill Chill!”
Eli Mak (-Putty Mak)
“The Chill is a homecoming. All the New York bands and New York fans that have been all over the place all summer are back home before fall tour and we all close down summer together at Camp Minglewood. It’s like Nickelodeon’s “salute your shorts” for adults…well, I use the term adults loosely…as I am knocking on the door of 40 and I carry around inflatable animals all weekend in a skirt or dinosaur pajamas”
William Lombardelli (The Hornitz)
“Catskill Chill is a musical, and personal, homecoming. All of us get to see and hear friends play sets, we all collaborate, and hang…we push one another to play our best with and for each other. Chill is a very special place.”
Jeff Mann (Consider The Source)
Top 5 Catskill Chill Memories
– performing my first ever acoustic set with CTS – we set up on the ground in between the campsites and started the second side to our band and a Catskill Chill tradition
– watching Rob from Dopapod sing an improvisational song about John Ferrara at their pancake breakfast
– Surprising Roots of Creation and popping up on stage with a percussion setup to join them for a few songs
– The annual all-night Shwikus cabin jams
– sleeping undisturbed until 2pm and taking a nice long shower before doing it all again
Take a look at some of our favorite moments in the galleries below. Special Thanks to the one and only Paul Hollands/ Poetic Treachery.